Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Evening update (Wednesday, 2/11)

Max had a fairly calm day, punctuated by emeses at midnight last night, and again this evening during the 6 and 9 p.m. These have caught the attention of the docs, but as of now they are not changing their treatment course. On other fronts, Max had speech therapy, showing no interest in the bottle; and physical therapy, showing mild interest before snoozing. After taking Felix to his first dentist's appointment this morning (let's just say there were a few tears), I spent the afternoon with Max. He got to sleep on me during his feeds, and we had some play/exercise time in between. We have a developing theory that Max does best keeping his feeds down when I am holding him upright and he can sleep while the food is going in. Needless to say, this is not a long-term solution to the reflux problem.

The plans are in motion to move Max to HSC, by Monday of next week at the earliest. Before he is moved, transfer evaluations need to be conducted by HSC staff and a bed needs to be available. In the meantime, the docs at GUH will continue their treatment course which involves trying to further compress Max's feeds (they are currently at 75 minutes) if possible and also further attempting feeding by mouth. If he shows emerging signs of distress or intolerance of compressed feeds, they may recommend the fundo/g-tube surgery and the move to HSC may be scrapped. It's up to Max at this point....